8bit to quoted-printable
Atlantis Online
2003-09-11 09:41:54 UTC
Hi

I have installed the latest Postfix 2.0.15 and have the problem, that
mails with 8bit-headers (i.e. a german Umlaut (=E4=F6=FC) in the subject)=
does
not shown correctly. The Cyrus IMAPD shows a 'X' instead.

I've read somewhere, that (other than Sendmail) Postfix does not
automatically convert 8bit to quoted-printable.
Postfix MIME works incl. quoted-printable conversion
- Conversion of 8-bit content when delivering mail to systems that
cannot receive 8-bit mail. This eliminates an acceptance problem
with people who insist on Postfix being a good network neighbour.
Being a one-pass MIME processor, it will not attempt to fix illegal
mail such as mail with 7-bit labels on top of 8-bit content.
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2002-05/1848.html

How do I enable this, or what have I to do, so that mails with
8bit-headers are converted into quoted-printable and are shown correctly
in mail-clients like SquirrelMail or MS Outlook?

Thanks for help!

Greetings
Stefan
Wietse Venema
2003-09-11 10:56:06 UTC
Post by Atlantis Online
Hi
I have installed the latest Postfix 2.0.15 and have the problem, that
mails with 8bit-headers (i.e. a german Umlaut (???) in the subject) does
not shown correctly. The Cyrus IMAPD shows a 'X' instead.
The standard does not allow 8-bit characters in message HEADERS.
Cyrus converts them the X.
Post by Atlantis Online
I've read somewhere, that (other than Sendmail) Postfix does not
automatically convert 8bit to quoted-printable.
No MTA converts message HEADERS to quoted-printable. That can
be done only with message BODIES.

Encoding of message HEADERS must be done by the mail user agent
and is described in RFC 2047.

Wietse
Stefan
Victor Duchovni
2003-09-11 11:42:06 UTC
Post by Wietse Venema
No MTA converts message HEADERS to quoted-printable. That can
be done only with message BODIES.
Encoding of message HEADERS must be done by the mail user agent
and is described in RFC 2047.
MTAs *cannot* convert 8bit headers to quoted-printable, because the
standard for doing so requires that one specify a character set for the
encoded data, and the MTA has no way to guess what the character set might
be.
Viktor.
Atlantis Online
2003-09-11 11:45:05 UTC
Thanks for answer!
Post by Wietse Venema
Encoding of message HEADERS must be done by the mail user agent
and is described in RFC 2047.
But why it works with Sendmail-MTA when sending a mail from root console
(which, I think, doesn't encode a message?):

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:17:00 +0200 (CEST)
From: ***@xxxx.xxx.xx (root)
header 'Subject'
Subject: test \344\366\374\n ^
---- mail header ----
--> Subject is not correct

is there no possibility (with Postfix or Cyrus) to change this?
Stefan
Victor Duchovni
2003-09-11 12:04:02 UTC
Post by Atlantis Online
But why it works with Sendmail-MTA when sending a mail from root console
Perhaps Sendmail's *local submission* code applies the platform default
character set to locally injected mail. This is not necessarily correct
(Chinese users on ISO-Latin systems would not get good results), but may
be best possible. Postfix has no such kludges. Message encoding is the job
of the MUA. Postfix can changed 8bit bodies to quoted printable, but
cannot synthesize header encodings.
Viktor.
Matthias Andree
2003-09-11 14:46:12 UTC