Email client ignores end-of-data REJECT
Ram
2016-07-26 15:13:34 UTC
I am using a custom policy daemon to reject some messages which do not
match the policies of the company. This is usually to do with some
content checks in subject or body.

The problem is even if the message is given a REJECT, The email client
(Thunderbird ) does not throw up any error

For testing I put in main.cf
----------
smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions=reject
-----------

Now *all* mails are rejected. But thunderbird thinks the mail is sent.
Is there a workaround to get an error message on the email client

http://www.netcoremarketingcloud.com/marketing-automation-webinar-2016/?utm_source=All-emp&utm_medium=Email-Disclaimer&utm_campaign=Weekly-Webinar-2
Benny Pedersen
2016-07-26 15:22:36 UTC
Post by Ram
Now *all* mails are rejected. But thunderbird thinks the mail is sent.
Is there a workaround to get an error message on the email client
postconf -nf
postconf -Mf

and logs evedence that it did, no logs no problem
Bill Cole
2016-07-26 22:11:01 UTC
Post by Ram
I am using a custom policy daemon to reject some messages which do not
match the policies of the company. This is usually to do with some
content checks in subject or body.
The problem is even if the message is given a REJECT, The email client
(Thunderbird ) does not throw up any error
For testing I put in main.cf
----------
smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions=reject
-----------
Now *all* mails are rejected. But thunderbird thinks the mail is sent.
Is there a workaround to get an error message on the email client
If that is actually happening, it indicates that there's a very serious
bug in Thunderbird.

Since I've seen Thunderbird (an older version, years ago...) alert me to
a rejection at end-of-data, I doubt that what you believe is happening
is what is actually happening. Please provide relevant excerpts from
your mail log showing that Postfix is actually rejecting mail.

Also, as always, "postconf -n" output would be helpful if you want
useful suggestions.