postfix and mailman. First list, after mailman, works, but subsequent lists fail.
(too old to reply)
2017-12-04 06:02:51 UTC
Hi all. Hope someone can help.

Running Ubuntu 16.04, mailman 2.1.24, postfix 3.1.0.

The server runs several domains. Postfix and virtual mailboxes are apparently running well. After much wrestling I have mailman working with one list. I then imported a list, from the previous host, and used withlist to import it. I checked that the aliases were generated, reloaded postfix, and sent a test message, which generated an unknown user bounce.

This lead me to check by creating a new list and testing it. Same message.

I'm not really sure how to move forward. Any thoughts?

Here's the output of postconf -n:

append_dot_mydomain = no

biff = no

content_filter = smtp-amavis:[]:10024

default_destination_concurrency_limit = 1

default_destination_rate_delay = 5s

default_process_limit = 20

header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks

inet_interfaces = all

inet_protocols = ipv4

mailbox_size_limit = 0

mydestination = localhost

myhostname = domain.org

mynetworks =, ,

readme_directory = no

recipient_delimiter = + relay_domains = mydestination, lists.virtualdomain.org

smtp_connect_timeout = 60s

smtp_destination_concurrency_limit = 1

smtp_destination_rate_delay = 5s

smtp_extra_recipient_limit = 10

smtp_host_lookup = dns, native

smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes

smtp_tls_security_level = may

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination

smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain

smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem

smtpd_tls_auth_only = no

smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/smtpd.crt

smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.key

smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

smtpd_tls_security_level = may

smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s

smtpd_use_tls = yes

spamassassin_destination_recipient_limit = 1

tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-alias-maps.cf, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-mailbox-domains.cf

virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-mailbox-maps.cf

virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp
2017-12-05 18:11:12 UTC
For anyone that finds this while searching answers, the ultimate answer was found by slamming my head against things until I died.

I'm a mess and I don't necessarily recall everything I did, but I'm going to try.

I decided to follow the postfix-to-mailman.py route, since the Ubuntu documentation leans heavily that way.

I removed mydestination from relay_domains. I think that was a leftover from something else, or older documentation that I followed at some point. I also removed local_recipient_maps to get rid of that warning. That's been there a while, but felt I'd mention it.

The critical points, I think, were twofold:

The removal of the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS line. Reading other things I suspected that this was only relevant when using postfix as the MTA, and that appears to be correct since (so far) it's working.

Second, removing the relay_recipient_maps line. Again, postfix isn't handling these messages, mailman is.

I think that's about the sum of it.

Continue reading on narkive: