Name service error
Bruce Ashton
2003-07-15 19:05:21 UTC
I know 'Name service error' is fairly common problem, but I've tried all the
solutions I've found on the web, and they haven't fixed my problem yet.

I have adsl with a static ip and my domain name (ashtonit.com) on that ip
address. I have a Speedtouch 510 4 port combo adsl
modem/firewall/dns/router thingy that is the name server for my local
network. It does dns for my local network but I don't have trouble with any
other services or apps.

Currently I can receive mail but I can't send it. I send mail from
***@ashton.net to ***@ashtonit.com with no problems, but it won't go the
other way. Looking in /var/log/maillog I see the legend,

"Jul 14 22:24:21 brucesbox postfix/smtp[1631]: 9BF9864008:
to=<***@ashton.net>, relay=none, delay=3097, status=deferred (Name service
error for ashton.net: Host not found, try again)"

fairly regularly.

host and nslookup both were able to find ashton.net either as regular user
or root, I searched google for "postfix name service error" and tried the
following suggestion I found that way.

Compared /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf, services, localtime with their
equivalents in /etc/.
Checked permissions on those files and all their parent directories, all the
way down the tree. Everything seemed to check out.

This is basically a standard install of Redhat 8.0 with postfix included.
I'm guessing it's some kind of permissions thing but I don't know where.

Can anyone suggest anything?

The details;

postfix version 1.1.11
Redhat version 8.0
imaps and mozilla 1.0.2 as a client on the same machine.

"ps -ef | grep post" returns,

postfix 5066 5064 0 19:48 ? 00:00:00 pickup -l -t fifo -u -c
postfix 5067 5064 0 19:48 ? 00:00:00 nqmgr -l -n qmgr -t
fifo -u -c

"postconf -n" returns,

alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-1.1.11/README_FILES
setgid_group = postdrop

Bruce Ashton
Bruce Ashton
2003-07-15 21:12:59 UTC
It has one line

nameserver 10.0.0.138

THe local address of my modem
I know 'Name service error' is fairly common problem, but
I've tried all the
solutions I've found on the web, and they haven't fixed my
problem yet.
I have adsl with a static ip and my domain name
(ashtonit.com) on that ip
address. I have a Speedtouch 510 4 port combo adsl
modem/firewall/dns/router thingy that is the name server for my local
network. It does dns for my local network but I don't have
trouble with any
other services or apps.
Currently I can receive mail but I can't send it. I send mail from
it won't go the
other way. Looking in /var/log/maillog I see the legend,
status=3Ddeferred (Name service
[...]
alias_database =3D hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_maps =3D hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
command_directory =3D /usr/sbin
config_directory =3D /etc/postfix
daemon_directory =3D /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level =3D 2
mail_owner =3D postfix
mailq_path =3D /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory =3D /usr/share/man
mydestination =3D $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
myorigin =3D $mydomain
newaliases_path =3D /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
queue_directory =3D /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory =3D /usr/share/doc/postfix-1.1.11/README_FILES
sample_directory =3D /usr/share/doc/postfix-1.1.11/samples
sendmail_path =3D /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
setgid_group =3D postdrop
Bruce Ashton
Wietse Venema
2003-07-15 21:20:52 UTC
Post by Bruce Ashton
This is basically a standard install of Redhat 8.0 with
postfix included.
I'm guessing it's some kind of permissions thing but I don't
know where.
Can anyone suggest anything?
See the Postfix DEBUG_README for how to strace the SMTP client.
That will reveal any file/directory access permission problems.

Wietse
Bruce Ashton
2003-07-15 21:55:39 UTC
Ok, brought the debugging level up, and now I think I have a clue...

The following appears in the maillog;

Jul 15 22:45:31 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: warning: 127.0.0.1: address
not listed for hostname SpeedTouch.ashtonit.com
Jul 15 22:45:31 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: connect from
unknown[127.0.0.1]
Jul 15 22:45:32 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: 232F96400C:
client=unknown[127.0.0.1]
Jul 15 22:45:32 bruceibm postfix/cleanup[1734]: 232F96400C:
message-id=<***@ashtonit.com>
Jul 15 22:45:32 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: disconnect from
unknown[127.0.0.1]

If I read this correctly postfix is declaring itself to my gateway as coming
from localhost.
Would this be related to the myorigin property in main.cf? that seems to be
working elsewhere as ashtonit.com though.
Wietse
Wietse Venema
2003-07-15 23:10:54 UTC
Post by Bruce Ashton
Ok, brought the debugging level up, and now I think I have a clue...
The following appears in the maillog;
Jul 15 22:45:31 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: warning: 127.0.0.1: address
not listed for hostname SpeedTouch.ashtonit.com
Jul 15 22:45:31 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: connect from
unknown[127.0.0.1]
client=unknown[127.0.0.1]
Jul 15 22:45:32 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: disconnect from
unknown[127.0.0.1]
If I read this correctly postfix is declaring itself to my gateway as coming
from localhost.
Would this be related to the myorigin property in main.cf? that seems to be
working elsewhere as ashtonit.com though.
smtpd RECEIVES mail. I thought you had a problem SENDING mail?

Wietse
Ralf Hildebrandt
2003-07-16 06:23:58 UTC
Post by Bruce Ashton
Ok, brought the debugging level up, and now I think I have a clue...
The following appears in the maillog;
Jul 15 22:45:31 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: warning: 127.0.0.1: address not listed for hostname SpeedTouch.ashtonit.com
Jul 15 22:45:31 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: connect from unknown[127.0.0.1]
Jul 15 22:45:32 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: 232F96400C: client=unknown[127.0.0.1]
Jul 15 22:45:32 bruceibm postfix/smtpd[1733]: disconnect from unknown[127.0.0.1]
If I read this correctly postfix is declaring itself to my gateway as coming
from localhost.
Would this be related to the myorigin property in main.cf? that seems to be
working elsewhere as ashtonit.com though.
Bruce, get rid of the shitty DNS your modem provides, install dnscache
and change your resolv.conf to point to 127.0.0.1.

That's probably the most reliable solution.
--
Ralf Hildebrandt ***@charite.de
my current spamtrap ***@charite.de
l***@kwsoft.de
2003-07-16 08:47:46 UTC
Post by Bruce Ashton
It has one line
=20
nameserver 10.0.0.138
=20
THe local address of my modem
=20
I once had similar problems where the DSL-Router stored garbage in its
name-server cache after line-breaks. Deleting the cache solved the proble=
m.
Maybe use a caching nameserver on your machine and forward directly to yo=
ur
providers NS.

Regards

Andreas
Bruce Ashton
2003-07-16 17:49:33 UTC
Post by Wietse Venema
smtpd RECEIVES mail. I thought you had a problem SENDING mail?
Wietse
Um. Yes.
Well the consensus seems to be that it might be crappy DNS from my modem, so
I'll check out that avenue next I think. Thanks for your help guys.
Bruce Ashton
2003-07-20 16:03:02 UTC
Hi All,
I was posting a couple of days ago because I was getting name service
errors. A lot of people said it was probably due to crappy DNS from my ADSL
modem, well they were right. Thanks for your help. I set up bind and it
works a treat.

Another satisfied customer :)